The following page outlines Family Works New Zealand’s commitment to your privacy.
The rights to privacy of people having dealings with Family Works – members, donors, people who receive a service from Family Works, volunteers, employees, prospective employees etc – shall be assured in accordance with the provisions of the Privacy Act 1993. Personal data or information in any form will be managed with diligence.
Family Works will be open and accountable about how personal information is handled.
What information is collected and how?
The type of information collected and retained by Family Works includes personal information about:
- Job applicants
- People receiving a service from Family Works
- Other people who come into contact with Family Works
Yes – cookies are pieces of information that will be sent by Family Works when you log onto our web site. These will be stored on your computer’s hard drive, to allow us to recognise you as a user when you next visit.
Personal information personally provided
Family Works collects personal information held about an individual by way of forms filled out, face to face meetings and interviews, telephone calls, facsimiles, email and sometimes through use of contractors/consultants.
When collecting information:
- Only information necessary for the activities of Family Works will be collected and recorded
- Information given in confidence will remain confidential
- Personal information provided by other people
- In some circumstances, Family Works may receive personal information about an individual from a third party – for example, references or referrals.
Family Works’ use of personal information personally provided
In general, Family Works will use or disclose information only for the primary purpose for which the information was collected. When information is to be used or disclosed for other than the primary purpose for which it was collected, consent will be obtained wherever practicable.
Secondary use or disclosure will occur only if the individual agrees, or the use or disclosure of information is allowed by law.
Family Works will not send personal information about an individual outside New Zealand without obtaining the individual’s consent or complying with National Privacy Principles.
Management and security of personal information
As a condition of employment, Family Works’ staff and volunteers are expected to respect the confidentiality of information and the privacy of individuals.
Family Works will take reasonable steps to ensure that the information it collects, uses, retains or discloses is accurate, complete, and up to date. However, the accuracy of that information depends to a large extent on the information individuals provide. It is recommended that people dealing with Family Works:
- Advise us of any errors in personal information
- Keep us up to date with changes in personal information such as name and address
- To update personal information, please contact your local Family Works office or use our online contact form. An individual has the right to obtain access to any personal information Family Works retains and to advise of any perceived inaccuracy.
Please contact Family Works New Zealand, in writing, if you wish to obtain access:
Family Works New Zealand, PO Box 2174, Wellington 6140